[daip] Tape drives in AIPS

Michael Reid reidma at physics.mcmaster.ca
Thu Jul 24 10:17:20 EDT 2003

	Hi there.

	I am having a problem using a tape drive under AIPS and I was
hoping someone could help me.  I have AIPS installed on one machine but
the tape drive is on another machine (both are running Solaris, if it
makes a difference).  I am trying to use AIPS on the first machine to read
from the tape drive on the second.  This is not working--AIPS on the first
machine doesn't seem to recognize that there IS a tape drive on the other
machine.  According to section 3.9.3 of the AIPS cookbook, I should have
AIPS installed on BOTH machines for this to work.  This is problematic for
two reasons: the computer with the tape drive on it is too old to run AIPS
very well and has very limited disk space, so we really don't want AIPS
installed on it, and, more importantly, our tech support people promised
to have the head of the next astronomer who asked them to install AIPS on
a new machine.

	Is there some way to cause AIPS to recognize the remote tape drive
_without_ installing AIPS on both machines?  Failing that, can I read the
data off the tape some other way and still be able to read it into AIPS
off the hard disk?  (If so, how do I do that?)

	Thanks!

	Mike Reid

--
Michael Reid, Ph.D. student, Astronomy
Department of Physics and Astronomy, McMaster University