[daip] Re: AIPS installation problems

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 22 15:02:15 EDT 2003

Casey Law writes:
 > 	I am trying to install the latest (31Dec03) AIPS onto my Redhat
 > Linux 9 system, but am having problems.  I saw your name listed as the
 > designated AIP, so I was hoping you could help figure out what's gone
 > wrong with the installation.  I'll describe my problems below;  let me
 > know if I should direct this email to someone else.

        daip at nrao.edu is better - and reaches me just as fast (and
others in case I am away)

 >         First, one possible problem:  I tried to do the installation under
 > my username, "claw", not "root".  The reason is that the install.pl script
 > requires that the installer be in the user group in which the installation
 > is made. I defined a new group "aipsuser", which "claw" is a part of, but
 > "root" is not.  Thus, it seems, only claw can do the installation.  I made
 > all the aips directories and files owned by claw, to avoid any read/write
 > problems, but it wouldn't surpirse me if there was still some problem.
 > Do I need to install as root?

      Installing as root causes many problems - install as yourself or
some other ordinary account.

 >         Second, the first (partial) failure came when trying to make XAS,
 > which seems to enable the TV.  Here's a few of the errors during
 > compiling:
 >
 > ----------------
 > AipsWiz: About to try to make XAS...
 >
 > rm -f *.o xas XAS
 > /usr/local/bin/gcc  -D_BSD -DUSE_SHM -O2 -c xas.c
 > In file included from xas.c:31:
 > xas.h:52:22: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
 > xas.h:53:23: X11/Xutil.h: No such file or directory
 > xas.h:54:24: X11/keysym.h: No such file or directory
 > xas.h:81:33: X11/extensions/XShm.h: No such file or directory

       This states that there is no /usr/include/X11 directory on your
system.  Usually there is something like a link to the current version
of X e.g.       X11 -> ../X11R6/include/X11/
on my system.  You will have to be root to make this link.  Then the
XAS may be remade eith by rerunning install.pl or by

cd $AIPS_ROOT
source LOGIN.CSH   (or . LOGIN.SH)
$CDTST
cd $YSERV/XAS
make

 >         Then eventually, something fails in the INSTEP2 procedure.  Here's
 > a log:
 >
 > ----------------
 > PP        : Preprocess /usr/local/aips/31DEC03/APL/DEV/UNIX/ZTXMA2.C
 > PP        : into       /usr/local/aips/31DEC03/LINUX/PREP/ZTXMA2.c
 > AIPSCC    : Date       Fri Jul 18 17:41:51 CDT 2003
 > AIPSCC    : Interpret  AIPSCC  \
 > AIPSCC    :            /usr/local/aips/31DEC03/LINUX/PREP/ZTXMA2.c
 > AIPSCC    : as         LIST=FALSE PURGE=TRUE
 > AIPSCC    : plus       /usr/local/bin/gcc -c -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer
 > -funroll-loops -I/usr/local/aips/31DEC02/INC -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
 > -DHAVE_LINUX_GLIBC -DHAVE_LINUX_GLIBC \

       Note the reference to 32DEC02 - you must have had that
installed and then inherited the reference from ~/.AIPSRC.  Edit the
$SYSLOCAL/CCOPTS.SH file to change 02 to 03 (and also ~/.AIPSRC).

Do these two edits, fix the X11 link file, then re-run install.pl.