[daip] Question about Linux boxes

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Jul 16 16:02:30 EDT 2003

Dayton Jones writes:
 > Greetings.  Our group at JPL is contemplating the
 > purchase of some generic linux-based computers to
 > start replacing our Suns, which are getting a bit
 > long in the tooth.  Local computer support people
 > recommend that we get Dell 650N machines.  These
 > typically come with the red hat 9 version of linux,
 > and either 2 or 4 GB of memory.  Do you have any of
 > these machines at NRAO, or do you know if others
 > have run AIPS on them?  If you are familiar with
 > them, are there are specific issues with tape drives
 > that we should be aware of when purchasing hardware?
 > Thank you for your advice.  Cheers,

We buy Dell computers and now have some lovely 2.8 GHz 4-head rack
mounted ones.  However, when we compile aips with the 3.2.2 compiler
on RedHat 9 and then run on RedHat 9 we get occasional failures.  It
passed the Y2k test but not some user tests.  This may be due to OS
changes forcing us to rethink our code some (we did revise some Z
routines slightly already).  But it may be more fundamental.  BTW -
this compiler run on a RedHat 7.2 machine passed all tests.

I will forward this reply to our system manager who may have advice on
tape devices.