[daip] HELP - AIPS 31DEC03 (fwd)

Eric Greisen egreisen at aoc.nrao.edu
Sun Jul 13 14:15:43 EDT 2003

Dharam Vir Lal writes:

 >  so, kindly ignore my previous email.

   Just answered...

 > 1) would
 >  Current settings of advanced parameters:
 >      AP Size (MB): 5 (for your memory size 127792 KB, use 20 MB)
 >    give me any trouble ?

       Probably not - what memory do you have?  If it only recommended
20 you probably do not have a lot so 5 Mbytes may well be best.  All
will work in any case.

 > ----------------------
 >
 > 2) is it necessary for me to RUN ...
 >   RUN FILAIP
 >   RUN POPSGN
 >   RUN SETPAR  ???
        ^

        You do need to
     RUN POPSGN
     0 POPSDAT TST
     <cr>

     to get that new vocabulary up to date.  The FILAIP, once run once
will be fine.  The SETPAR may really only be for the very last
parameter in the list - the speed parameter.  A 20 or so should speed
things up some without being onerous.  What is the GHz rating of your
computer?

 > ----------------------
 >
 > 3) after successfully going into AIPS,
 >    while running on of the task,
 >    AIPS gave the following complaint :
 > > tget UVPLT
 > AIPS 1: SYMBOL?       DO3COL

         You installed a new aips and adverbs have changed....

 > >go
 > AIPS 1: MISSING ADVERB: TRY A 'COMPRESS' OR 'HELP NOADVERB' FOR INFO
 > AIPS 1: SYMBOL?       DO3COL
 >
 >   well, on running "compress" ...
 >
 > >compress
 >
 > everything seem to work FINE.

     I guess POPSGN did re-run because the comporess uses the output
of POPSGN to update your vocabulary.

 > do i have to RUN "compress" on every AIPS-id i have been using ?

   When you EXIT (or KLEENEX) the current vocabulary is stored in
LASTEXIT.  It is restored the next time you run, so it will not be
necessary to compress.

ERic Greisen