[daip] Re: help

Eric Greisen egreisen at aoc.nrao.edu
Thu Jul 10 10:39:50 EDT 2003

Rajib Saha msc phy writes:

Thanks you for providing full details - most people have tobe asked
once or twice after the first query.

 > On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 rajib at iitk.ac.in wrote:
 >
 > > Respected Sir,
 > > I have installed 31DEC02  version of the "AIPS" in the LINUX machine
 > > with(SuSe 8.0 gcc compiler 2.95.3).I want to use it from this computer
 > > only. Unfortunately I missed to apply  any patches (as described
 > > in the website) before INSTEP2 or INSTEP4. Anyway after I try to run
 > > "AIPS" using the following commands one by one  in the console:

    With this compiler the Z routine patches are not of interest.  The
task patches may be done individually with no real problem.  It is not
necessary to return to INSTEP2 or INSTEP4.

 > > rajib at monsoon:~/AIPS> aips tv=local
 > >
 > > START_AIPS: Will use or start first available Unix Socket based TV

 > > START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called monsoon
 > > START_AIPS:  - but have chosen to run the TV locally on MONSOON
 > > START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on monsoon asynchronously
 > > START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
 > > START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on MONSOON asynchronously...

 > > UNIXSERVERS: TVSRV1 is already running on host monsoon, user rajib
 > >
 > > AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
 > > ?1
 > > Password:

     The password is AMANAGER but I would recommend using any number
BUT 1.  That number really should be reserved for manager uses.

 > > Here I have two screens: one is AIPS_TEKSRV_1
 > > another is AIPS_MSGSRV_1
 > > But I dont have any XAS TV window.
 > >
 > > 1)How can I remove this problem?

        The user number one is easy - use any number > 1.

 > > 2)How many screens should I get while running AIPS?

        There should be an XAS screen (in icon form).  Perhaps because
TVSRV1 was already running (from a previous trial) it chose not to try
to start XAS1 this time.  Look at your processes (XAS1, TVSRV1,
TKSRV1, MSSRV1) outside of aips and kill them (not kill -9 just kill).
Then check /tmp for aips-like files (0 bytes and names like the above
processes) and delete them too if needed.  (These are the sockets by
which the processes run in TV=local.)  Then try again.

       I will bet that there are error messages from XAS saying that
it cannot find a TrueColor visual (of 24-32 bits) and cannot find a
PseudoColor visual (8 bits) either.  Most Linux systems start with a
16 but TrueColor XWindows setup that is not good for science and so is
not supported by XAS.  See The aips web pages - esp the aips manager
FAQ page for info on how to fix this.

 > > 3)Do I need to load the pathch files now.Or I should start running the
 > > "Installing wizard" once again so that this time Idont miss applying the patch
 > > files before running INSTEP2 and INSTEP4.?

    They are individual task fixes (forget about the Z routine one
which is for RedHat 9) - so just follow the simple instructions with
each.