[daip] Re: HELP

Eric Greisen egreisen at aoc.nrao.edu
Wed Jul 9 10:23:31 EDT 2003

Rajib Saha msc phy writes:

 > I want to install "AIPS" for the first time in my Linux  machine. I
 > will use "AIPS" only from this machine (no other host).
 >
 > 1)   Do I need to do "INSTEP2" ,"INSTEP4","FILAIP","POPSGN","SETPAR"?

     install.pl will run all of these for you.  INSTEP2 compiles
subroutine libraries, INSTEP4 compiles and links tasks, ilaip builds
required system files, popsgn inits the aips POPS vocabulary.  SETPAR
is probably not needed.

 > 2)Also my computer has a name already. So can I use the name given in
 > your homapage for the name of my computer?

     Use the existing name of your computer - whatever
            uname -n
     returns is what aips is going to want to use.  What name on the
homepage?  If there is one it is just an example...

 > 3)I dont plan to use any tape drive .I will use data from cds or use ftp.
 > So can I press <return> without changing any default option on the
 > screen no 9 of the  install wizard?

     In general you may press return at almost all screens.  The
control files that list disk devices, printers, tapes, etc are simple
text files that we expect may need to be edited later anyway.

 > 4)Since I will use only one computer for using "AIPS " should I have to
 > make any change in the "/etc/services" directory as mentioned in
the webpage?

    The Inet services are what you get by default if you simply say
"aips" so it helps to define them.  Most may be avoided by saying
"aips tv=local" (see chapter 2 in the CookBook for details) but you
will get anoying messages about TPMON1.

 > 5)If I define"AIPS" root area as "/opt/aips" then will the file
 > /PRDEVS.LIST
 > containg the printer definitions be created in the directory
 > /home/aips/tmp/DA00. If the  home directory  of my computer already
 > contains some other files of different purpose will it affect the
 > installation?

     If $AIPS_ROOT is /opt/aips then PRDEVS.LIST will be in
/opt/AIPS/DA00.   I do not know where the directory /home/aips/tmp
comes from in this case.

ERic Greisen