[daip] AIPSPATH.CSH breaks man.

Craig Walker cwalker at aoc.nrao.edu
Mon Jul 7 00:24:43 EDT 2003

I noticed after my recent installation of 31DEC03 on a RedHat9 system
that man was not working in any of my windows.  I was invoking
/home/aips/LOGIN.CSH in my .tcshrc.  After commenting out that line
in .tcshrc, man works.  Here is a short form of the evidence that the
AIPS LOGIN.CSH causes the problem.  This is a sequence of lines captured
from a window after .tcshrc no longer invoked LOGIN.CSH (and after I got
out of the windowing system and back in - it seems that the xterms inherited
some stuff):

[cwalker ~]> man --path
/usr/share/man:/usr/local/share/man:/usr/X11R6/man:/usr/local/man
[cwalker ~]> printenv MANPATH
[cwalker ~]> source /home/aips/LOGIN.CSH
[cwalker ~]> man --path
/home/aips/31DEC03/SYSTEM/UNIX
[cwalker ~]> printenv MANPATH
/usr/man:/home/aips/31DEC03/SYSTEM/UNIX
[cwalker ~]> ls /usr/man
ls: /usr/man: No such file or directory
[cwalker ~]> man man
man: No such file or directory
Failed to open the message catalog man on the path NLSPATH=<none>

No manual entry for man
[cwalker ~]>

man man had produced the man page for man just before I started this sequence.

There is a note in my .tcshrc that there were issues with MANPATH
after RedHat 5.0 and I had commented out an attempt to add a MANPATH.
It seems that man uses a fairly sophisticated way to find man pages that
is turned off if a MANPATH is present.  I think there may need to be
some rethinking about how AIPSPATH.CSH deals with MANPATH.  Either that,
or I need to only invoke LOGIN.CSH in the window in which I will run
aips, and not use man.

Cheers,

Craig