[daip] help with installation

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Fri Jan 24 11:57:44 EST 2003

Gavin Ramsay writes:

Sorry to be delayed in replying - I have no idea what is happening
here.

 > the  full message is below.
 >
 > > Have you setup the system services?
 >
 > i think so!
 >
 > > Are you actually running on mssltj or are you using a server and
 > > mssltj is your desktop machine?
 >
 > i'm using mssltj as a desktop which contents to msslah.
 >

 > [msslah]{~}>aips

Try saying
     aips notv tpok

This will leave us just actually trying to execute the ZSTRTA.EXE and
AIPS.EXE without the various socket daemons.

 > START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
 > START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type

$NET0/PRDEVS.LIST will need a printer for many of the tasks to work.

 > START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
 > DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.006
 >   (Using global default file /soft/soft1/xraysw-OSF1/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL)
 >    Disk 1 (1) is /soft/soft1/xraysw-OSF1/aips/DATA/MSSLAH_1
 >
 > Tape assignments:
 >    Tape 1 is REMOTE
 >    Tape 2 is REMOTE
 >
 > START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called mssltj.mssl.ucl.ac.uk
 > TVDEVS.SH: Remote TV assigned for TVHOST mssltj.mssl.ucl.ac.uk  ***
 > START_AIPS: Checking if mssltj.mssl.ucl.ac.uk is reachable via ssh...

There should be all sorts of stuff after this having to do with TVs
starting and with aips itself starting.  I suspect some real hangup
here in connectivity.  Is mssltj an AIPS host?  It has to be in order
for mssltj to run the daemons - which is what you have asked it to do.
But that is an idle question at present:

ei1 "Checking if $TVHOST is reachable via $REMOTE_CMD..."
if $REMOTE_CMD $TVHOST echo "Checking" >/dev/null 2>/dev/null

seems to be hanging START_AIPS - it is not even failing which it is
supposed to do when connectivity is disallowed.

Let's try the notv tpok to start with to see if we can get aips itself
to run.