[daip] AIPS user data areas

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Jan 10 19:54:31 EST 2003

computer support writes:
 > As we prepare to install the 31DEC02 version of AIPS, I was wondering if
 > you could advise me on how to configure this better.  I am referring to:
 >

 > >and then set it up so that no disk area is required.  If I remeber
 > >correctly, all disk areas on all machines are required in your
 > >environment and that will slow things down a lot.

      You have done all but the last step in getting away from this.
 > and the corresponding DADEVS.LIST (again without comments):
 >
 > +  /usr/local/pkg/aips/DATA/PUBLIC_1
 > +  /usr/local/pkg/aips/DATA/PUBLIC_2
 > +  /usr/local/pkg/aips/DATA/PUBLIC_3
 > +  /usr/local/pkg/aips/DATA/PUBLIC_4
 > +  /usr/local/pkg/aips/DATA/CLOTHO_1
 > +  /usr/local/pkg/aips/DATA/MIMOSA_1
 > +  /usr/local/pkg/aips/DATA/MIMOSA_2
 > +  /usr/local/pkg/aips/DATA/MIMOSA_3
 > +  /usr/local/pkg/aips/DATA/MIMOSA_4
 > +  /usr/local/pkg/aips/DATA/MIMOSA_5
 > +  /usr/local/pkg/aips/DATA/MIMOSA_6
 > +  /usr/local/pkg/aips/DATA/OSPREY_1
 > +  /usr/local/pkg/aips/DATA/OSPREY_2
 > +  /usr/local/pkg/aips/DATA/OSPREY_3
 > +  /usr/local/pkg/aips/DATA/OSPREY_4
 > +  /usr/local/pkg/aips/DATA/OSPREY_5
 > +  /usr/local/pkg/aips/DATA/OSPREY_6
 >
 > Each of the "HOST_#" above is a symbolic link to a filesystem on the remote
 > HOST.

    Good.  Now change the + signs above to minus signs.  Then a user
on mimosa will get only the mimosa disks unless he/she specifically
asks for others via a (for example) da=osprey on the aips start-up
command line.  The mimosa disks will be fast on mimosa, the osprey
disk on osprey, etc.

 > Can you tell me what we should change to make this more optimal?
 >
 > Also, suppose that one of the remote systems (say the "PUBLIC" one) is down
 > for a few days due to hardware failure.  How will that affect the catalog
 > numbering and such that was worrying Jean?

In the scheme I recommend, the PUBLIC disks will only be used on
public except as specifically requested.  If it is down then the
request will be ignored, but the disks are at the high number end of
things in that case.

Jean had some specific problem by which she was failing to get access
to existing data.  I forget what it was.  Since I had not heard from
her I assumed that that glitch had been solved.