[daip] Problem installing AIPS 31DEC03 on MacOS X 10.2.4 system

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Fri Feb 14 16:37:14 EST 2003

Juan Cabanela writes:

 >    I was attempting to install AIPS on my PowerBook G4 with the install.pl
 > wizard and things were going swimmingly until I got the error message below.
 > Funny thing is that as far as I can tell my data area has been defined (more
 > on that below).

      Wonderful.

 > Data disk assignments:
 >   (Using global default file /usr/local/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST)

 > HELP!  No Defined data areas!  You can proceed now to run
 > program FILAIP, but you may see LOTS of complaints about
 > not being able to access the message file.  If you think
 > there should have been some data areas defined, please
 > check DADEVS.LIST or .dadevs files, or AIPSASSN.\*
 >
 > Now, a quick check of /usr/local/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST shows the following
 > data area is defined:
 >
 > -  /usr/local/AIPS/DATA/BARYON
 >
 > And my ~/.AIPSRC file says (among other things):
 >
 > = ~/.AIPSRC content subset =============================================
 > SITE = BARYON
 > THISHOST = IP165-82-176-96
 > HOSTS = "IP165-82-176-96 BARYON"
 > DATA_AREAS = "/usr/local/AIPS/DATA/BARYON:NONE"

The start-up proc is not recognizing the data area as belonging to
you.  Try
     cd /usr/local/AIPS
     source LOGIN.CSH
     $CDTST
     echo $HOST

If that is not BARYON (and the text above suggests it will be
          IP165-82-176-96 BARYON
then it cannot recognize the data as belonging to you.  It gets the
host name from a uname -n followed by some awks designed to, say,
change primate.aoc.nrao.edu to primate.  The powerbook and ibook we
have hooked into here also returned nice names like the primate one.

If this is a standalone installation, you can change the "-" sign in
the DADEVS.LIST file to a "+" sign.  This makes it required on any
computer which, for a standalone machine, is not a problem.

Then you will need to run FILAIP and POPSGN following the instructions
you included in your mail to us.