[daip] tapes

Crystal Brogan cbrogan at ifa.hawaii.edu
Fri Dec 19 15:50:53 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm probably doing something silly, but I can't get my remote
tape mount to work.

The tape drive is a DDS 4 Exabyte drive (internal) running on a linux
machine called SHADOWFAX. The device name is /dev/nst0. Reading
and writing from shadowfax to the tape drive works fine.

I am trying to write to this tape drive from my laptop which is
called AQUILA.

On Aquila:

[root at aquila DA00]# more TPDEVS.LIST
# Host     Device-name    Comment
SHADOWFAX   /dev/nst0     Exabyte 8500

[root at aquila DA00]# more TPHOSTS
shadowfax.ifa.hawaii.edu
# localhost
127.0.0.1

The /etc/services:
# Local services
sssin           5000/tcp        SSSIN      # AIPS TV server
ssslock         5002/tcp        SSSLOCK    # AIPS TV Lock
msgserv         5008/tcp        MSGSERV    # AIPS Message Server
tekserv         5009/tcp        TEKSERV    # AIPS TekServer
aipsmt0         5010/tcp        AIPSMT0    # AIPS remote FITS disk access
aipsmt1         5011/tcp        AIPSMT1    # AIPS remote tape 1
aipsmt2         5012/tcp        AIPSMT2    # AIPS remote tape 2
aipsmt3         5013/tcp        AIPSMT3
aipsmt4         5014/tcp        AIPSMT4

(the /etc/services on shadowfax are the same).

When I try to mount the tape:

>inp mount
AIPS 1: MOUNT:    Verb to software mount a tape
AIPS 1: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 1: INTAPE        1                    Tape unit # (0=> 1)
AIPS 1: DENSITY    6250                    Density to set on mount.
AIPS 1: REMHOST    'SHADOWFAX                 Remote computer name
AIPS 1:              '
AIPS 1: REMTAPE       1                    Remote tape drive number
>mount
ZVTPO2 connect (INET): Connection refused
AIPS 1: ZMOUNR: UNABLE TO OPEN SOCKET TO REMOTE MACHINE, ERROR    1
AIPS 1: ZMOUNT: ERROR     1 RETURNED BY ZMOUN2/ZMOUNR
AIPS 1: TAPE PROBLEM

>tapes
AIPS 1: AIPS tapes on SHADOWFAX
AIPS 1: Tape Device name            Description
AIPS 1:   1. /dev/nst0              Exabyte 8500

Do I need to set something else? Do I need to add aquila to the list of
hosts on shadowfax? Or vice versa? Or change something else on shadowfax.

Thanks,
Crystal