[daip] Re: interaction of AIPS with new archive files

Kristy Dyer kdyer at nrao.edu
Thu Dec 18 15:34:31 EST 2003

John,

The AIPS explain file for FILLM says:

  INFILE.....If non-blank, the data are already on disk and are to be
             read from disk file INFILE (with the file number
             concatenated).  Thus,
                  INFILE='MYAREA:VLAtapes/file_
                  NFILE = 4
             will cause files from directory $MYAREA/VLAtapes named
             file_5, file_6, file_7, etc. to be read.  (Note that
             INFILE= is the only command on the line and there is no
             close '.)     See EXPLAIN for a discussion.
             To use the VLA archive directly, contact NRAO at
                analysts at nrao.edu.
             The web has tools to review the contents of the archive
                http://www.vla.nrao.edu/astro/archive/vladb/
             and to request data from the archive
                http://www.vla.nrao.edu/astro/archive/archreq/

I believe that FILLM is smart enought to concatenate all the files that
should be concatenated, and start a new UV file for files that shouldn't
be concatenated (i.e. archive files NAME.xp1 and NAME.xp2 would wind up in
a single file).

This would suggest that the files be named:

AK331_1
AK331_2
AK331_3
AK331_4
AK331_5
AK331_6

Then they could be loaded with a single command. I realize that that
means there's no information in the file name as to when it was
taken, or what segment.

-- Kristy