[daip] Re: SDA in VLA datasets

douglas bock dbock at astron.berkeley.edu
Wed Dec 17 15:12:09 EST 2003

Bryan,

My request was made as part of an investigation into some errors in the
data from our observations of the Vela pulsar region in September (the
data you have). I would have liked to check that the data were observed
with the correct flags in the 3rd card of the array file (i.e., T in
columns 13, 15).

However, perhaps you or others can instead tell me:
- that the flags must have been set or we would have seem nothing (or all
the pulsar),
or alternatively
- that their state cannot have given rise to our errors

or perhaps you can shed other light on the situation. So let me describe
it.

We made phased-array mode observations of the Vela pulsar with the
correlator gating on Sep 22, 26, 28, 29 (we phased up on a nearby strong
source, not the pulsar). On Sep 22 we set the phase center on the pulsar.
There was a substantial artefact at the phase center. Our working
hypothesis was that this artifact had something to do with the phased
array mode (i.e. the zero fringe rate might have meant some DC
terms/errors were not being subtracted). Perhaps the pulsar gating mode
was related.

On Sep 26 and subsequently, we pointed 1 arcmin north of the pulsar (after
setting the gate phase on the pulsar). The artifacts moved to the new
phase center. However, the artefacts were not the same on each day.

Furthermore, the gating worked with varying effectiveness on different
days. The best data are on day 2b, when we don't see the pulsar at all
(limit 40 uJy, say). On other days the pulsar residual is several hundred
uJy (the integrated data from the whole pulsar period is about 300 mJy at
this frequency).

Note that the gating setup was different on the two halves of day 2, so
those data are divided into day2a and day2b. The gates were set as
follows (all ms, wrt pulsar peak intensity):

day1:   -5,  +9.8
day2a: -10, +14.9
day2b:  -6, +10.7
day3:   -6, +10.3
day4:   -8, +10.9

the pulsar is known to have emission from -2 to +8 ms (period 89 ms).
Given the above, it seems odd that the pulsar disappeared on day 2b, but
was present for the rest of the time.

see the images at http://astro.berkeley.edu/~dbock/local/velavla/

FITS versions the images are there also. All gif images are to the same
grayscale (-100,+200 uJy/bm).

Thanks for any insights any of you can provide!

cheers

Douglas

[PS: I think have I have now got to the bottom of our sensitivity issues.
We are about 13% higher than the theoretical sensitivity of the
observation (calculated using the measured system temperatures of 60K,
which seem reasonable at C band for elevation=8-10). I think the last 13%
could reasonably be due to scattered sidelobes from either the artefacts
above, the residual pulsar, and/or the strong FRII source subtracted from
the images.]