[daip] help with data area definitions

Jean L. Turner turner at astro.UCLA.EDU
Thu Aug 28 17:23:27 EDT 2003

Help!

I installed AIPS on my Mac (YES!!) and had it running briefly although not
the
TV (I think that's okay though) but this was 4 months ago, and I since have
moved the AIPS directory someplace else without thinking, and I
don't remember what all happened. So now when I try to run the START_AIPS
script, it says

[MIMOSA:~/AIPS] chicag% ./START_AIPS
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
  (Using global default file /Users/chicag/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST)
             /Users/chicag/AIPS/DATA/MIMOSA_1 is currently unavailable.

START_AIPS: Cannot start AIPS because there are no defined data areas!
START_AIPS: (check DADEVS.LIST or .dadevs files, or AIPSASSN.\*)

==> so the data areas are undefined. I never defined a printer to start.
Also, /Users/chicag/AIPS/DATA/MIMOSA_1 exists and has "Users"
in it. There are a bunch of AIPS files (BAD001001; type files) in
DA00/MIMOSA_1, although this was named something different
before, this was from my initial start up.

I also get the following responses to various queries, which don't look
so good:

[MIMOSA:~/AIPS] chicag% echo $DATA_ROOT
/DEFINE_ME

[MIMOSA:~/AIPS] chicag% echo $SYSLOCAL
/Users/chicag/AIPS/31DEC03/UNKNOWN/SYSTEM

I have a DADEVS.LIST file in DA00 and its last line (I won't reproduce the
whole
thing) is

-  /Users/chicag/AIPS/DATA/MIMOSA_1

(This is different from what I originally had, because I originally put in
three data areas separated by commas, which I see now is a no-no)

My $AIPS_ROOT/HOSTS.LIST file has:

+  MIMOSA     MACPPC  UCLAJT   NONE        MAC OX 10.2 G4 desktop

which is correct (although different from the original installation)

I'm not a unix expert and the install wizard worked beautifully and I'd
run it
again knowing what I now know if I could omit all the compiling steps etc.
but this doesn't look as if it would work. I've got the old "Install.ps"
file and
am trying to read it but it's got a lot of stuff about old versions of
AIPS etc.
which don't apply.

I have some AIPS files on disk, but they're expendable so I could zap them
and start from scratch. I don't know how it ran the first time with the
commas
in the data areas.

Perhaps there is something easier to follow than the install.ps - it's 72
pages
and I think I'm seeing everything that needs fixing but I could be missing
something. Or maybe I can run the install wizard again???

I've been at this 6 hours already so I'm throwing in the towel & asking
for help.

Thanks
Jean Turner

--
Prof. Jean L. Turner, Division of Astronomy & Astrophysics
UCLA Dept. of Physics & Astronomy    Ph:   1-310-825-4305