[daip] Trouble loading XAS server

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Aug 25 11:55:26 EDT 2003

Chun writes:
 > I've encountered a problem with loading up the XAS servers:
 >
 > XAS: ***********************************
 > XAS: **  No TrueColor found
 > XAS: **  Resorting to PseudoColor
 > XAS: ***********************************
 > XAS: No pseudocolor visual - No suitable visual: No such file or directory
 > XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on ursa, DISPLAY localhost:10.0
 > XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on ursa, DISPLAY localhost:10.0

    This is on the basic Manager's FAQ

AIPS works, tekserver works, but the TV doesn't come up

    This is seen most often on Linux systems. Almost certainly your X Windows configuration is set to use a 16-bit display. The AIPS TV can only support 8 and 24 bit displays (32 and 24 should be equivalent). Type "xdpyinfo | more" and if you see this:

        default visual id:  0x20
        visual:
          visual id:    0x20
          class:    TrueColor
          depth:    16 planes

... then this is the problem. If it says 8 or 24, then the TV should work. If it says 16, then you should alter your X configuration to allow either 8 or 24 bit display. You should use the supplied tools, e.g. XConfigurator under Red Hat Linux, to do this; only edit the XF86Config file directly if you know exactly what you're doing!

 > When I used 'aips' to login, I did not get any windows opening. But when I
 > used 'aips tv=local:0', I had no problems at all.
Problems with the TV, message, TEK and tape servers

The instructions to change your /etc/services file are often overlooked. The Inet versions of XAS with its TVSERV lock daemon, MSGSRV, and TEKSRV all require that predictable node numbers be reserved for them. The remote tape services also require these and do not offer a UNIX (non-network socket) option. In both cases, if you need to communicate between two computers (or more), the following must be installed in your /etc/services (or YP services):

sssin           5000/tcp        SSSIN      # AIPS TV server
ssslock         5002/tcp        SSSLOCK    # AIPS TV Lock
msgserv         5008/tcp        MSGSERV    # AIPS Message Server
tekserv         5009/tcp        TEKSERV    # AIPS TekServer
aipsmt0         5010/tcp        AIPSMT0    # AIPS remote FITS disk access
aipsmt1         5011/tcp        AIPSMT1    # AIPS remote tape 1
aipsmt2         5012/tcp        AIPSMT2    # AIPS remote tape 2
aipsmt3         5013/tcp        AIPSMT3
aipsmt4         5014/tcp        AIPSMT4
aipsmt5         5015/tcp        AIPSMT5
aipsmt6         5016/tcp        AIPSMT6