[daip] Filling VLA data from disk

Eric Perlman perlman at jca.umbc.edu
Thu Aug 21 16:43:08 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I am currently trying to fill some VLA data from a disk file, since here
at UMBC the machines
running AIPS do not have any tape drives (we do have tapes, just not
mounted on the linux machines
that run AIPS). I am following the prescription recommended in the AIPS
Cookbook, i.e., just put
the file name into INFILE within FILLM.

Here are the errors I get:

daneel> FILLM1: Task FILLM  (release of 31DEC01) begins
daneel> FILLM1: will apply Van Vleck correction on continuum data
daneel> FILLM1: Shadow flag limit =  7.000E+00 meters.
daneel> FILLM1: ZTPOPN: UNABLE TO TRANSLATE LOGICAL NAME AMT01
daneel> FILLM1: TAPIO: ERROR   1 OPENING FILE
daneel> FILLM1: Error      8 opening VLA archive data tape.
daneel> FILLM1: FLMUV: FLMDAT error  8
daneel> FILLM1: Read         0 visibilities from  0 files
daneel> FILLM1: Appears to have ended successfully
daneel> FILLM1: daneel       31DEC01 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=       0

One important piece of info:  we are currently running 31DEC01 here, but
will probably update
to 31DEC03 in the next few weeks.

Do you know what's going on?  Is this something that 31DEC01 cannot do?
Or is it related to how
I put the data onto disk?  (I used dd and ibs=2880, as if it was a FITS
file; dd failed utterly without
the FITS-standard block size).

Thanks,

Eric

Eric S. Perlman				   E-mail: perlman at jca.umbc.edu
Joint Ctr. for Astrophysics, Physics Dept. Phone: +1 410 455 1982
University of Maryland, Baltimore County   Fax:   +1 410 455 1072
1000 Hilltop Circle			   WWW:   www.jca.umbc.edu/~perlman
Baltimore, MD  21250