[daip] Aips tape problem

Shami Chatterjee shami at astro.cornell.edu
Fri Aug 15 14:31:54 EDT 2003

Hi,
A quick query about a network tape drive on a Linux host ("Dizzy").

Dizzy has an exabyte drive that needs to be visible to AIPS on other
machines, but it does not need to run aips itself. The local site is
"CRSR" for Solaris, "CORNELL" for Linux.

I've set up dizzy as a Linux aips host, doing all the steps except
"sysetup dizzy" (I did NOT do this last step).

So I have
lrwxrwxrwx    /AIPS -> /home/space1/aips

In NETSP:
/home/space1/aips/DATA/DIZZY_1 365.0    [...]

In DADEVS.LIST.CORNELL:
-  /home/space1/aips/DATA/DIZZY_1

In TPDEVS.LIST: (should this go to TPDEVS.LIST.CORNELL?)
DIZZY      /dev/nst0         7/14 GB Exabyte Eliant 820

The services are exported by the NIS server:
% ypcat services | grep AIPS
sssin           5000/tcp     SSSIN           # AIPS TV server
aipsmt2         5012/tcp     AIPSMT2         # AIPS remote tape 2
aipsmt1         5011/tcp     AIPSMT1         # AIPS remote tape 1
aipsmt3         5013/tcp     AIPSMT3
tekserv         5009/tcp     TEKSERV         # AIPS TekServer
ssslock         5002/tcp     SSSLOCK         # AIPS TV Lock
aipsmt0         5010/tcp     AIPSMT0         # AIPS remote FITS disk
msgserv         5008/tcp     MSGSERV         # AIPS Message Server

But when I run ./START_TPSERVERS
STARTPMON: [DIZZY] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED
ZVTPO3: tcp/aipsmt0 is not a service
ZVTPO3: check /etc/services or NIS map!
STARTPMON: [DIZZY] Starting TPMON2 with output SUPPRESSED
AIPS% ZVTPO3: tcp/aipsmt1 is not a service
ZVTPO3: check /etc/services or NIS map!

What am I doing wrong?
Do I need to tell it to check the YP map before /etc/services?
If so, how?  Or is there some other problem? Must I sysetup?

Thanks for the help,
Shami

--
 Shami Chatterjee     http://www.astro.cornell.edu/~shami/