[daip] Some UID unusable

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Aug 14 10:40:51 EDT 2003

Chao-Shan Chen writes:

 >   My colleague encountered a problem that, when he is busy on his aips
 > session, the machine crashed ant the session was not properly
 > exited/terminated. The next time he using the same aips uid to run aips,
 > everything became a mass.
 >   He can not use any aips command, everything entered was replied SYMBOL
 > xxx ?. Aips forget all commands even 'exit'.
 >
 >   Is there any procedure to 'recover' that user id and the broken
 > session/database? Or how to migrate his previous data to another user ID?

The crash somehow caused the user's LASTEXIT SAVE/GET file to be
corrupted.  In the first data area there are files named
      SGDuuunnn.uuu;
where uuu is the user number, nnn a sequence number in extended hex.
Say EHEX m to translate m (decimal) into extended hex, REHEX ee will
translate ee back to decimal.  The version nnn is a catalog file and
usually nnn = 001 is the LASTEXIT file.  If the user has only these
two SG files delete them both.  Otherwise delete the nnn=1 (and higher
if needed) until the symptoms go away.