[daip] Help installing aips

Nordgren, Tyler Tyler_Nordgren at redlands.edu
Thu Apr 24 16:38:33 EDT 2003

Hi there,
I am a lowly prof at a small liberal arts university trying to install aips
on
a windows box running Linux Mandrake. I am saddled with an IT department
which
refuses to have anything to do with non-Windows products so I am doing this
on my
own.

Here is my problem: I have gotten aips installed and as root I can run it.
However,
the TV and other windows do not open. One window pops up briefly but then
dissapears
almost immediately. I have checked the FAQ and changed the display to 24
bit, but
that does not help. It seems to be having a problem with XAS.

Here is the error message I get in the main window. Any suggestions?

Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC03) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?XASERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSERV on loki
TVSERVER: could not get ssslock service by name: No such file or directory
TVSERVER: Check your /etc/services or NIS/YP map
XASERVERS: Start XAS on loki, DISPLAY :0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: Using screen width height 1014 668, max grey level 255
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: sssin is not a service
XAS: Check /etc/services or YP/NIS services map
zssslk: tcp/ssslock NOT A SERVICE
XAS: Quitting NOW.
XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on loki, DISPLAY :0
STARTPMON: [LOKI] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED
ZVTPO3: tcp/aipsmt0 is not a service
ZVTPO3: check /etc/services or NIS map!
XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on loki, DISPLAY :0

Cheers,

Tyler Nordgren