[daip] Installation problem

David Whysong dwhysong at physics.ucsb.edu
Tue Apr 22 15:37:18 EDT 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to install AIPS on a Linux/Red Hat 9 box. The install fails
because it fails to finda any data areas. In the install.pl perl script, I
specified a single data area, /mnt/data/aips which is not a subdirectory
of the aips account. The directory does exist, and should have the proper
permissions and ownership:

[dwhysong at sleepy ABMS-]$ ls -ld /mnt/data/aips
drwxrwsr-x    2 aips     aips         4096 Apr 21 00:53 /mnt/data/aips/
[dwhysong at sleepy ABMS-]$ ls -l /mnt/data/aips
total 0
-rw-rw-r--    1 aips     aips            0 Apr 21 00:53 SPACE

I tried installing with a symlink from the aips directory, like this:
	/mnt/data/aips:/usr/local/aips/DATA/SLEEPY_1

The install.pl script reports my data area as:
  /mnt/data/aips (-> /usr/local/aips/DATA/SLEEPY_1)

(Which appears backwards to me, as /usr/local/aips/DATA/SLEEPY_1 should be
the symlink, not the data driectory.)

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? The error messages are appended.

Thanks,

David Whysong                                       dwhysong at physics.ucsb.edu
Astrophysics graduate student         University of California, Santa Barbara
My public PGP keys are on my web page - http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~dwhysong
DSS PGP Key 0x903F5BD6  :  FE78 91FE 4508 106F 7C88  1706 B792 6995 903F 5BD6
D-H PGP key 0x5DAB0F91  :  BC33 0F36 FCCD E72C 441F  663A 72ED 7FB7 5DAB 0F91

AipsWiz:  =====> Generate system files via FILAIP/POPSGN...
AipsWiz: This will generate some output, including a copyright (left)
AipsWiz: statement and some prompts, but should end with a 'Done!' if
AipsWiz: everything worked...

Data disk assignments:
  (Using global default file /usr/local/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST)

HELP!  No Defined data areas!  You can proceed now to run
program FILAIP, but you may see LOTS of complaints about
not being able to access the message file.  If you think
there should have been some data areas defined, please
check DADEVS.LIST or .dadevs files, or AIPSASSN.\*
If you want to proceed, enter YES (uppercase) now:
AipsWiz: Error: FILAIP did not work, or there's a missing file!
AipsWiz: Error: This may mean that FILAIP did not work (it should have
AipsWiz: Error: created it and many other files in that area).
AipsWiz: Error: You can try running it by hand after (a) dotting the
AipsWiz: Error: LOGIN.SH file or sourcing the LOGIN.CSH file; and
AipsWiz: Error: (b) Typing 'RUN FILAIP'.  You will then be asked for
AipsWiz: Error: several parameters.  Use

35 -100
8 2
8

AipsWiz: Error: as the standard values.
AipsWiz: Error: You will also have to RUN POPSGN if that works;

AipsWiz: Error: Feed it

0 POPSDAT TST

AipsWiz: Error: when it asks for Idebug, etc. and press RETURN when
AipsWiz: Error: you see the '>' prompt.

AipsWiz: Install Wizard stopping.  Current settings saved in ~/.AIPSRC
AipsWiz: Abandoning ship!  Goodbye.