[daip] Problem running AIPS 31DEC03 on MacOS X 10.2.4 system

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Wed Apr 2 19:05:14 EST 2003

Juan Cabanela writes:
 > On 3/25/03 2:45 PM, "Eric Greisen" <egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu> wrote:
 >
 > >> XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
 > >> Shared memory id failure: Cannot allocate memory
 > >
 > >   I have not seen this error in Macs until now.  I suspect that the
 > > shared memory segments remain allocated from the locked up time and
 > > need to be unlocked.  Usually, one is just allowed to allocate more
 > > and the failure occurs when all memory is used up, but Mac may put
 > > more stringent limits on shared memory.  There is a command - at least
 > > on Linux - called ipcs to show shared memory segments among other
 > > things.  You might try that.
 >
 > Dr. Greisen,
 >     I am still having some problems here.  When I move from one location to
 > another and attempt to run AIPS at anywhere other than my "default"
 > location, the TVSERV fails with the above error and if I move back to my
 > "default" location, I still get the error until I reboot.  Any ideas of how
 > to make a "portable" AIPS setup so that I can go from site to site without
 > issues.  Can I launch START_AIPS with a flag that forces it to run as
 > HOST=<DEFAULT>?

I have no idea what the source of the problem is.  Mac users have
referred to a DHCP manager that allows them to assign a fixed name to
their machine so that it is recognized as that name wherever they plug
in.  I do not know what your machine is called at your various
locations, you have not told me.  Output of uname -n would say.

But you can run without shared memory - read the help file for XAS and
it will tell you about the .Xdefaults file and the aips options that
you may put into it.  Among them is a logical that tells it not to use
shared memory.  I would try that first.