[daip] Re: AIPS installation error

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Wed Sep 25 12:08:13 EDT 2002

Pedro Manuel Augusto writes:

 > Dear Dr Eric Greisen,

    Please address future questions to daip at nrao.edu.  Then, If I am
unavailable, someone else may help you.

 > I am trying to install AIPS on my linux PC with Mandrake8.0. I have
 > followed your instructions including initial checks and download of
 > programs and now am using install.pl to get AIPS installed. I have come
 > across an erro at Screen 4 that I do not unders tand (after introducing
 > "users"; I am logged as "root"):

    We strenuously recommend that you do not install AIPS as root.  It
will cause you trouble forever...

 > AipsWiz: Error: You do not seem to be a member of group users
 > AipsWiz: Error: Possible groups you are in include:
 > AipsWiz: Error: root wheel disk adm sys daemon bin
 >
 > I have changed the /etc/group file as follows:

    Did you log all the way out after changing the file?  A change to
root might even require a reboot.

BUT do not use root.  Log in as augusto - or make a new account such
as aipsmgr with group users or aips - but root is too privileged and
dangerous.

Eric Greisen