[daip] VLBA + Arecibo cal transfer

Shami Chatterjee shami at astro.cornell.edu
Wed Sep 18 17:59:27 EDT 2002

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Jim Ulvestad wrote:

> Can I see your inputs to ANTAB and to SNPLT?
ANTAB:
AIPS 1: INNAME     'BC113C-G    '          Input UV file name (name)
AIPS 1: INCLASS    'FXPOL '                Input UV file name (class)
AIPS 1: INSEQ         1                    Input UV file name (seq. #)
AIPS 1: INDISK        1                    Input UV file disk unit #
AIPS 1: INFILE     'INPF:TSYS.AR           Calibration file name.
AIPS 1: SUBARRAY      0                    Subarray (0=> 1)
AIPS 1:                                    Output table versions:
AIPS 1: TYVER         3                     TY table to update
AIPS 1: GCVER         3                     GC table to update
AIPS 1: BLVER        -1                     BL table to update
AIPS 1: SPARM      *all ' '                List of stations to ignore
AIPS 1: PRTLEV        1                    Print level (0=>none;
AIPS 1: OFFSET        0                    Increase the scan length of
AIPS 1:                                    each side, minutes

SNPLT is not an issue - I just ran PRTAB with these inputs:

AIPS 1: INNAME     'BC113C-G    '          Image name (name)
AIPS 1: INCLASS    'FXPOL '                Image name (class)
AIPS 1: INEXT      'TY'                    Extension type
AIPS 1: INVERS        3                    Extension file version #
AIPS 1: BPRINT        0                    First row number to print
AIPS 1: EPRINT        0                    Last row number to print
AIPS 1: XINC          1                    Increment between rows
AIPS 1: NDIG          0                    > 3 => extended precision
AIPS 1: DOCRT         1                    If > 0, write to CRT
AIPS 1: DOHMS         1                    If > 0 print times with
AIPS 1: NCOUNT        0                    Print the first NCOUNT values
AIPS 1: BDROP         0                    values BDROP through
AIPS 1: EDROP         0                    EDROP (if appropriate)
AIPS 1: BOX        *all 0                  List of columns to be printed

And saw this:

 mingus    PRTAB(31DEC02)   1740     18-SEP-2002  17:40:01    Page    1
BC113C-G    .FXPOL .   1  Disk= 1    TY Table version   3
Title: AIPS UV DATA FILE TSYS TABLE
Created by      ANTAB on 18-SEP-2002 17:06:07
Last written by ANTAB on 18-SEP-2002 17:06:07
Ncol  10  Nrow       0    Sort cols:
    Table has     3 keyword-value pairs:
   NO_POL   =            2
   NO_IF    =            4
   REVISION =           10
   Table format incompatable with FITS ASCII tables

COL. NO.      1             2             3             4             5
   ROW    TIME          TIME INTER    SOURCE ID     ANTENNA NO    SUBARRAY
NUMBER    D/HMS         D/HMS

COL. NO.      6            7            8            9            10
  ROW    FREQ ID       TSYS 1       TANT 1       TSYS 2       TANT 2
NUMBER                  KELVINS      KELVINS      KELVINS      KELVINS

AIPS 1: Resumes
-----
So a template is created, but no entries were filled in.

> Can you send me the complete table that you read in with ANTAB

Okay, the files are at NRAO (AOC) now, in ~schatter:
/users/schatter:
-rw-r--r--   1 schatter aipsuser    6885 Sep 18 15:47 TSYS.AR.gz
-r--r--r--   1 schatter aipsuser    5346 Sep 18 15:47 Tsys.AR.orig.gz

The "orig" file is what Tapasi mailed me.
The TSYS.AR file has her comments removed, my fake header, and the SEFD
value repeated 8 times. That is what I've attempted to load.

> Can ANTAB actually even read a line that's more than 80 characters in
> length?

Oh. I didn't realize that could be problematic.
I'll try it 4 IFs at a time, then.

> Note that the latest version of Appendix C of the AIPS cookbook tells
> how to incorporate a single VLA antenna in C.8.1, and you should check
> and see if this is similar to what you did

Yes, it is. I looked at C.9.1 in my 31-Dec-2001 copy, as well as online:
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/vlba/html/OBSERVING/cal-transfer/cal-transfer.html
However, right now, it seems like the records are not even being read into
an empty table (TY and GC 3 in the inputs above). The GC table is actually
filled, as expected, although it seems to have a *lot* of entries:

Title: GAIN CURVE TABLE
Created by ANTAB on 18-SEP-2002 17:06:08
Last written by ANTAB on 18-SEP-2002 17:06:08
Ncol 19 Nrow 1   Sort cols:
    Table has     4 keyword-value pairs:
   NO_BAND  =            4
   NO_POL   =            2
   NO_TABS  =          200
   TABREV   =            2
The empty TY table appears to be the major problem.

Thanks for looking into this!
Shami

--
 Shami Chatterjee