[daip] comment on AIPS installation

Alessandro Caccianiga caccia at brera.mi.astro.it
Tue Oct 22 09:03:18 EDT 2002

Hello,

I have just concluded the installation of AIPS on my Linux machine.
I have used the  installation wizard which worked well.
I have just a comment about the very last lines in the WEB
instructions ( http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips/install.shtml#running), namely:

"There are a couple of things that may need to be done to your operating
system controls files in order to run AIPS. You probably need to be root to
do these. The first is to add to /etc/system the lines"

In my Linux (red-hat7.1) machine I could not find any

	/etc/system

Instead, I have added the lines into the file:

	/etc/services

and everything works fine.
Is it a typo or an OS-dependent instruction?

Thanks for your attention.

Best regards,

Alessandro Caccianiga
Osservatorio Astronomico di Brera