[daip] Problems with XAS Build in 31DEC02 AIPS Install

laurentm at bechtel.Colorado.EDU laurentm at bechtel.Colorado.EDU
Fri Oct 11 17:11:45 EDT 2002

Hi Pat,

	As I already replied to Eric, I traced the problems the install wizard
had to it insisting on getting the name of my machine with a uname -a, and
not that the Makefile for the XAS was improperly changed.  The issue is
I have a dynamic IP address for my machine and it's name is derived from
the IP address (e.g., HOME-DHCP4-128.31.4.11.COLORADO.EDU).  Because that
name changes every time I get a new IP address, I have had problems running
AIPS because it needs a HOST.LIST entry for every possibility and if it
doesn't find it, my architecture (LINUX) doesn't get set.  This is what
happened when I got to the makefile for XAS.  My IP address had changed,
so the install.pl script thought my machine had changed, but it couldn't
find it's architecture (so it became UNKNOWN) and then certain directories
couldn't be found, not to mention the correct C-compiler chosen (the XAS
makefile chooses from CC_LINUX, CC_SUL, etc).  What I do to run AIPS is
trick it into thinking my machine is *always* called "localhost", then
it can always find an entry in the HOSTS.LIST file, a data area (localhost_1)
and can display to it (localhost0:0).

	I don't know how many potential users you might have with similar
problems, but if you need or want more details on how I get AIPS to work
with a linux box whose name changes potentially on every reboot, let me
know.

					-Sally