[daip] MANPATH

Craig Walker cwalker at aoc.nrao.edu
Sat Oct 5 19:45:06 EDT 2002

On my home Linux system, I have not defined MANPATH.  According
to the man page on man, man then uses information in /etc/man.config
to find man pages.  I recently installed AIPS, and the AIPSPATH.CSH
scripts sets MANPATH to an AIPS directory plus /usr/man.  This is
now used by man rather than /etc/man.config and, since there is
very little in /usr/man, man cannot find most man pages.  I don't
see a clean way out of this.  The options I can think of are to
establish MANPATH with all the possible paths in it, to comment
out the AIPS assignment of MANPATH, thereby losing access to the
AIPS man pages (or page), or to comment out the MANPATH assignment
and put a link in one of the regular man areas to the aips man pages.
The latter seems least harmful, but it certainly is not part of
the regular AIPS installation.  Have others faced this problem or
to most have fully configured MANPATHs?

Craig