[daip] tape error (aips)

Pedro Manuel Augusto augusto at uma.pt
Tue Oct 1 06:37:25 EDT 2002

Dear Eric and colleagues,

I have changed permissions and now wny user inside the group can work with
aips perfectly. I also have TV, etc. Now the true tests come: I am trying
to load image data from a tape and check tv interactive, etc.

However, I find the problem right at the start with the Tape reader. I am
using a PC_Linux in my office connected to our local net and external
world (where I have AIPS installed). THe tape drive is also connected to
the local net and the world via a Solaris workstation. I can telnet
overthere and play with other tapes remotely (of course, after telneting
'remotely' has a different meaning):

[augusto at augusto augusto]$ telnet astro
Trying 193.136.232.8...
Connected to astro.uma.pt (193.136.232.8).
Escape character is '^]'.

Raptor Firewall Secure Gateway.

SunOS 5.7

login: manel
Password:
Last login: Tue Oct  1 10:39:44 from astro
Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.7       Generic October 1998
$ pwd
/export/home/manel
$ mt -f /dev/rmt/0n rewind
$

(it is working fine)

Now from aips here:

>remh 'astro'
>inp mount
AIPS 1: MOUNT:    Verb to software mount a tape
AIPS 1: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 1: INTAPE        1                    Tape unit # (0=> 1)
AIPS 1: DENSITY    6250                    Density to set on mount.
AIPS 1: REMHOST    'ASTRO                     Remote computer name
AIPS 1:              '
AIPS 1: REMTAPE       1                    Remote tape drive number
>mount
ZVTPX2 READ HEADER ERROR: Connection reset by peer
AIPS 1: ZMOUNR: UNABLE TO TALK TO REMOTE TAPE DEVICE, ERROR    3
AIPS 1: ZERROR: IN ZMOUNR ERRNO = 1 (Operation not permitted)
AIPS 1: TAPE PROBLEM
>remh 'astro.uma.pt'
>inp mount
AIPS 1: MOUNT:    Verb to software mount a tape
AIPS 1: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 1: INTAPE        1                    Tape unit # (0=> 1)
AIPS 1: DENSITY    6250                    Density to set on mount.
AIPS 1: REMHOST    'ASTRO.UMA.PT              Remote computer name
AIPS 1:              '
AIPS 1: REMTAPE       1                    Remote tape drive number
>mount
ZVTPX2 READ HEADER ERROR: Connection reset by peer
AIPS 1: ZMOUNR: UNABLE TO TALK TO REMOTE TAPE DEVICE, ERROR    3
AIPS 1: ZERROR: IN ZMOUNR ERRNO = 1 (Operation not permitted)
AIPS 1: TAPE PROBLEM
>remh '193.136.232.8'
>inp mount
AIPS 1: MOUNT:    Verb to software mount a tape
AIPS 1: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 1: INTAPE        1                    Tape unit # (0=> 1)
AIPS 1: DENSITY    6250                    Density to set on mount.
AIPS 1: REMHOST    '193.136.232.8             Remote computer name
AIPS 1:              '
AIPS 1: REMTAPE       1                    Remote tape drive number
>mount
ZVTPX2 READ HEADER ERROR: Connection reset by peer
AIPS 1: ZMOUNR: UNABLE TO TALK TO REMOTE TAPE DEVICE, ERROR    3
AIPS 1: ZERROR: IN ZMOUNR ERRNO = 1 (Operation not permitted)
AIPS 1: TAPE PROBLEM

(internal address used next; different error...)

>remh '10.1.2.27'
>inp mount
AIPS 1: MOUNT:    Verb to software mount a tape
AIPS 1: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 1: INTAPE        1                    Tape unit # (0=> 1)
AIPS 1: DENSITY    6250                    Density to set on mount.
AIPS 1: REMHOST    '10.1.2.27                 Remote computer name
AIPS 1:              '
AIPS 1: REMTAPE       1                    Remote tape drive number
>mount
ZVTPO2 connect (INET): Connection refused
AIPS 1: ZMOUNR: UNABLE TO OPEN SOCKET TO REMOTE MACHINE, ERROR    1
AIPS 1: ZMOUNT: ERROR     1 RETURNED BY ZMOUN2/ZMOUNR
AIPS 1: TAPE PROBLEM

I have tried all logical possibilities and still cannot get a conversation
with the tape reader. Is there any port that must be opened in the
workstation for this purpose (apart from telnet and ftp ports)?

Thanks for your help.
Regards,

Pedro