[daip] flux density

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Nov 25 13:00:44 EST 2002

Ian Pattison writes:
 > Regarding the flux density measurement of point sources, is there a
 > preferred approach. I know of IMFIT/JMFIT whereby one also fits a
 > zero-level component together with the gaussian, and also TVSTAT (simply
 > drawing a polygon around the source). Any suggestions?

If the object is really a point source then the most accurate estimate
of the flux is the value of the peak brightness from the fit done by
IMFIT/JMFIT with the zero level and widths fit.  Note - the peak
brightness not the integral.  If there has been significant broadening
due to excessive bandwidths or time averaging in the uv data then you
had better use the integral flux instead.

I have worked on this issue but have not gotten back to it in a
while.

ERic Greisen