[daip] Remove ACOUNT.o?

Andrzej Marecki amr at astro.uni.torun.pl
Thu Nov 14 09:43:49 EST 2002

>  > The very 1st run of MNJ for 31DEC02 version of AIPS at my site resulted in:
>  >
>  > UPDREMOVE - Remove     ACOUNT.o
>  > UPDREMOVE - from       /aips/31DEC02/SUL/LIBR/APLSUB/SUBLIB
>  > UPDREMOVE - Removed ACOUNT.o from 1 (0 debug) libraries
>  >
>  > Is that all right??!
>  >
>  > I'm asking because not having ACOUNT.o in $LIBR/APLSUB/SUBLIB now, makes
>  > it impossible to COMLNK (most of) the AIPS tasks! Should/could I merely
>  > re-COMRPL $APLSUB/ACOUNT.FOR to solve this problem?
>  >

> Everything is fine.  We were testing and did the COMRPL $APLSUB/ACOUNT
> right after the remove.  Otherwise, none of your link edits would have
> worked.
>
> You have read the report more thoroughly than other users!

Well, yes... because I had to. :-) And I had to read everything
thoroughly because I was trying to find an error. And finally I found it!
I was sitting in the MNJ initialization script in $AIPS_ROOT i.e. the
one which is started by cron. The faulty line of that script read:

PATH=$PATH:/opt/bin # originally: PATH=$PATH:/set/me/to/dir/where/cvs/is/found

In my case it resulted in setting PATH to: /usr/bin:/opt/bin. This
means shell couldn't find ar because in Solaris ar is in /usr/ccs/bin.
Now the sequence of mishaps looked like this:

1. ACOUNT had been removed by UPDREMOVE but scheduled for COMRPL by UPDCOMRPL.
2. COMRPL $APLSUB/ACOUNT had run OK, ACOUNT.o appeared in $LIBR/APLSUB
3. Unavailability of ar caused LIBR (called by COMLNK) to fail to put
   ACOUNT.o to $LIBR/APLSUB/SUBLIB
4. Eventually COMLNKs fail with the message:

 symbol                          in file
acount_                          /aips/31DEC02/SUL/LIBR/APLSUB/SUBLIB(GTPARM.o)

Conclusion:

# PATH=$PATH:/set/me/to/dir/where/cvs/is/found

should read:

# PATH=$PATH:/set/me/to/dirs/where/ar_and_cvs/are/found.

In my case it reads now:

PATH=$PATH/usr/ccs/bin:/opt/bin

where: /usr/ccs/bin is the location of ar and /opt/bin point to cvs.

Cheers, Andrzej

Andrzej Marecki                |
Torun Centre for Astronomy     |   e-mail: amr at astro.uni.torun.pl
N. Copernicus University       |   WWW:    http://www.astro.uni.torun.pl
ul. Gagarina 11                |   tel: +48 56 6113032
PL-87-100 Torun, POLAND        |   fax: +48 56 6113009