[daip] Re: AIPS question

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Tue Nov 12 13:35:04 EST 2002

 casper writes:

 > I am a novice AIPS user who first used the program this summer. After installing AIPS on a new Linex computer called LUNA, I ftp-ed my data from this summer onto the new computer. Then I tried to use FITLD so AIPS would read/recognize the data.
 >
 > For some reason, FITLD acted like it was trying to read data from a tape, even though I had a file pathname specified in "infile." In an attempt to fix this problem, I accedentally deleted some files from AIPS/31Dec02/DA00/LUNA. AIPS would no longer even start up.

     Next time - when we get ther - start with the verb TPHEAD.  It is
much simpler than FITLD and may help resolve problems.

 > I then ftp-ed the files I had just deleted (getting them from my comp from this summer). AIPS started up, but upon running FITLD, a new error popped up:
 >
 > ZTPOPN: DISK DEVICE = /home/aipsmgr/AIPS/DA00/ NOT FOUND
 > TAPIO:  ERROR   2 OPENING FILE
 > ERROR       8 OPENING TAPE
 > Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes

    Is there an area called /home/aipsmgr/AIPS on your computer?  Or
have you copied some files that define logicals improperly - mostly
setting AIPS_ROOT to /home/aipsmgr/AIPS.  Try grep in your aips root
area for /home/aipsmgr/AIPS.