[daip] error installing aips on workstation

Pedro Manuel Augusto augusto at uma.pt
Fri Nov 8 13:56:57 EST 2002

Hi Eric,

I am finally trying to install AIPS on our Sun-Sparc Ultra workstation
operating on SOlaris 2.7 (or 2.6? if relevant I will find out). I have
come across the error:

AipsWiz:  =====> Configuring READLINE library...
unshr.f:
 MAIN unshr:
        getarc:
        opnarc:
        unpack:
        strlen:
AipsWiz: Built the UNSHR.SUL unpacker OK
AipsWiz: Unpacking the READLINE.SHR archive; ignore the prompt...
  Enter the name of the archive:
AipsWiz: Unpacking seemed to work.
AipsWiz: Unpacking the RLSUPP.SHR archive; ignore the prompt...
  Enter the name of the archive:
AipsWiz: Unpacking seemed to work.
AipsWiz: Running Readline 'configure' in quiet mode, and then make...
creating cache ./config.cache
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating doc/Makefile
Can't open ./doc/Makefile.in
creating examples/Makefile
Can't open ./examples/Makefile.in
creating config.h
cd . && autoconf        ## Comment-me-out in distribution
/bin/sh: autoconf: not found
make: *** [configure] Error 1
AipsWiz: Error: Either the configure or make step failed in
AipsWiz: Error: /export/home/aips/AIPS/31DEC02/SUL/LIBR/GNU/.
AipsWiz: Error: This means INSTEP3/INSTEP4 will not work.
AipsWiz: ==> Press <ENTER> to acknowledge::

Is it because there is no program "autoconf" in the workstation? I have
searched for it and, indeed, I cannot find it. Do you know where I can
download it from?

Thanks for your help.
Regards,

Pedro