[daip] AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Thu Nov 7 17:52:33 EST 2002

Andrew A. West writes:
 > I am not sure what you are asking?
 >
 > My compter's name is REDROCKET and therefore there is a file
 > $AIPS/31DEC02/LINUX/SYSTEM/REDROCKET/NEWEST

      This is $SYSLOCAL and the REDROCKET here must be the $SITE name
you chose (as well as being the host name you would prefer).  Perhaps
you could force $SITE to be REDROCKET or just include this area in
your $PATH in your login files.

 > however, my computer is a laptop and connects via dhcp.  So my network id
 > is some ip address which aips sees and allows it to display and all that
 > good stuff.  Since the IP address is not static, I am worried that it will
 > never see the "NEWEST" file because I will never officially be "REDROCKET"
 > on the network.
 >
 > ANy ideas, Andrew
 >
 > PS  What will not work if it does not see NEWEST?

    compiles and link edits will have trouble and there will be
problems with changes in the servers (the use of NEWEST in
UNIXSERVERS).  I am not sure where else it may occur.

Eric