[daip] FITLD and scratch files

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Thu May 30 11:53:27 EDT 2002

On Thu, 30 May 2002 16:26:00 +0200 (SAST), Sharmila Goedhart
   <sharmila at hartrao.ac.za> said:

> I am running into a bit of problem with fitld at the moment.  I cannot
> get the full set of files to load up.  I get the following message

> FITLD1: ZEXPND: EXPANSION FAILED ON FILE DA03:UVD004001; NREC = 256916
> FITLD1: ZERROR: ON FILE DA03:UVD004001;
> FITLD1: ZERROR: IN ZEXPN2 ERRNO = 27 (File too large)

This is telling you the file is too big.  It's probably larger than 2
Gigabytes.  You can have files larger than this on newer Linux and Solaris
systems, and the 31DEC02 (and the released 31DEC01 version I believe)
support this feature "out of the box": Red Hat 7.0 through 7.3, and
Solaris 8 both can support it, as will most any Linux kernel at 2.4 or
higher.  However, AIPS has to be compiled with this option (this is the
Linux setting, but the Solaris -D option is identical):

       COMP="-c $OPT0 -I$INC -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64"

(in the $SYSLOCAL/CCOPTS.SH file).  If this setting is not in place,
you'll have to put it in and rebuild all of AIPS (i.e. blow away the
$LIBR/*/SUBLIB libraries, and re-run INSTEP2 and INSTEP4).  If it is, then
the problem is something else.

> I have plenty of space on my outdisk.  The problem appears to be with the
> scratch file, which keeps on getting written to disk 2,

The error above refers to DA03 which is "disk 3".  If you have issues with
disk 2, you might consider trying to (temporarily) copy the
$NET0/DADEVS.LIST file to a personal ~/.dadevs version, and edit out the
offending directory from that file.  The personal .dadevs file(s) in your
home area take precedence over the system-wide ones; see "man AIPS" from
the unix command line or "HELP AIPS" inside AIPS.

Hope this helps.

				- Pat