[daip] comlnk problem

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Wed May 22 16:52:12 EDT 2002

Hi Michael.  Eric is away so I'm fielding the system/install questions in
his absence.

On Wed, 22 May 2002 15:44:30 -0400, you said:

> I am trying to compile the 31DEC01 version of AIPS under Solaris 2.8.
> While INSTEP2 went fine, INSTEP4 immediately has problems linking to the
> SUBLIBs.  Here's the messages:

> LINK      : Date is... Wed May 22 14:41:19 CLT 2002
> LINK      : Interpret  LINK \
> LINK      :            /home/aips/31DEC01/SUL/PREP/AIPS.o
> LINK      : as         PURGE=FALSE REPLACE=TRUE SAVE=TRUE STRIP=TRUE
> LINK      : plus       /opt/SUNWspro/bin/f77 \
> LINK      :            /home/aips/31DEC01/SUL/PREP/AIPS.o \
> LINK      :            /home/aips/31DEC01/SUL/LIBR/AIPSUB/SUBLIB \
> LINK      :            /home/aips/31DEC01/SUL/LIBR/YSUB/SUBLIB \
> LINK      :            /home/aips/31DEC01/SUL/LIBR/YSS/SUBLIB \
> LINK      :            /home/aips/31DEC01/SUL/LIBR/APLSUB/SUBLIB \
> LINK      :            /home/aips/31DEC01/SUL/LIBR/APLSOL/SUBLIB \
> LINK      :            /home/aips/31DEC01/SUL/LIBR/APLSUB/SUBLIB \
> LINK      :            /home/aips/31DEC01/SUL/LIBR/APLSOL/SUBLIB \
> LINK      :            /home/aips/31DEC01/SUL/LIBR/GNU/libreadline.a \
> LINK      :            -ltermcap \
> LINK      :            -lsocket -lnsl -xarch=v8plusa -dalign -xlibmopt -s \
> LINK      :            -o /home/aips/31DEC01/SUL/PREP/AIPS.EXE
> ld: warning: file /home/aips/31DEC01/SUL/LIBR/AIPSUB/SUBLIB ignored: unable to
> locate archive symbol table

Hmm.  I haven't seen that before (but we have very few solaris systems
left here, and the one with AIPS on it is still at SunOS 5.6).  I'll try
to poke around on one of the AOC systems and see if there were any changes
since 31DEC01 was frozen to the 31DEC02 version.

Do you by chance have any logs (in particular output of stderr) from
INSTEP2?  I'd like to see if there's anything odd in the machinations AIPS
does to generate the SUBLIB object libraries.  Much of what the LIBR shell
script does (ordering etc.) was once important years ago, in the days of
Convexes, VAXen and Modcomps, but it's likely either irrelevant or getting
in the way now.

> Of course this leads to a slew of symbol referencing errors.  I'm not
> sure what is the problem with the "archive symbol table", but I verified
> that the SUBLIBs look like a library archive with the ar -t command and
> that looked normal.

I was sort of hoping it wouldn't; dang.  As I said, I'll dig some more and
get back to you...

				- Pat
--
 Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.              Division Head, CV Computing, NRAO
 Home: http://www.chien-noir.com/    Work: http://www.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/