[daip] installing aips

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Mon May 20 10:26:04 EDT 2002

On Mon, 20 May 2002 12:55:06 +0200 (CEST), Pedro Montero Muriel
   <montero at sissa.it> said:

> I am trying to install AIPS on a Linux PC but I am getting the following
> problems and would be very grateful if you could tell how to solve them.
> Basically, after compiling INSTEP4 I have manually to run FILAIP.EXE but
> gives me a lot of errors. They are related to DA01 which is a directory
> which does not exist.

Here "DA01" is the AIPS internal name for the first data area.  When you
gave the shell command "RUN FILAIP" it will in turn define several
variables before running the program itself.  Because one of FILAIP's jobs
is to create the message file for user#1 (the AIPS Manager), and because
this normally goes in the first defined user data area (as plucked from
the file $AIPS_ROOT/DA00/DADEVS.LIST where $AIPS_ROOT is the AIPS root
area you defined), it has to figure out where that is.

If you didn't create that area, did not make it writable, and/or did not
put an empty writable file therein called SPACE, you need to do so at this
point.  If you let the install wizard (install.pl) create the areas for
you, it takes care of this.

> When I try to run START_AIPS it opens the windows
> corectly but it does not recognizes any comand at all.

Let's look at the FILAIP errors first.  And don't call the START_AIPS
script directly; it's not meant to be done that way.  See below for advice
on LOGIN.SH/CSH; once that's done, you start aips by typing "aips" (or
better yet, type "man aips" first [LOGIN.SH/CSH set the MANPATH and PATH
variables], read it, and then figure out what command line options you
want).

> This are the kind of error when runing FILAIP.EXE:

Make sure you use the RUN shell script to activate FILAIP.  You probably
did this, but I want to be sure we're not miscommunicating.  Once you have
set up your AIPS environment via:

  . /where-your-aips-root-is/LOGIN.SH      # (bash, ksh, zsh, ash, sh)

or

  source /where-your-aips-root-is/LOGIN.CSH      # (csh, tcsh)

then your PATH is already set up so that just typing:

  RUN FILAIP

will work.  If you ran the raw FILAIP.EXE without the setup that RUN gives
you, you'll get all sorts of errors and it won't work.

>  ZMYVER: TROUBLE TRANSLATING LOGICAL = AIPS_VERSION (USING NEW)

This tells me the LOGIN.SH or .CSH was not called.  AIPS_VERSION appears
not to be defined which means very little if anything will work.

>  ZMSGOP: VOLUME  1 FOR FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
> MSGWRT ERROR      3 AT OPEN

Please ignore these two errors in what follows.  They're annoying and tend
to obscure the more serious problems.  All they say is that the AIPS
manager's message file isn't there so it can't log the ensuing error
messages to it.

> FILAI1: ZEXIST: CAN'T TRANSLATE NAME = DA00:ACD000000;

This tells me the *SYSTEM* area DA00, which will translate to a directory
like /your-aips-root/DA00/your-host-name/, is not defined.  As it's
FILAIP's job to create files in this area, and as FILAIP does not have the
ability to create directories, at this point it's doomed.  The install.pl
script normally creates these areas for you; I suspect they're there, but
the many environment variables that RUN, START_AIPS

> # disks, # cat entries/disk (<0 => private catlgs) (2 I)
> 4
> ****  MORE VALUES PLEASE :

FYI, the recommend input lines to FILAIP (once its infrastructure is all
there) are (these are the EXACT strings you need to enter):

       # disks, # cat entries/disk:          35 -100
       # interactive AIPS, # batch queues: 8 2
       # tape drives:                      4

The number of disks is really an upper limit; don't worry about having
this set to 35 (the max FILAIP will allow).  The minus-100 on that same
line is ESSENTIAL; it has to be a large negative number.  And the number
of simultaneous interactive AIPS sessions and batch queues as shown above
are recommended unless you really know what you're doing.  As for tape
drives, pick a machine on which you'll be running AIPS in your network
that has the most tape drives (this can be 1, or even zero).  Add one, and
use this value.  It should not exceed 8.

I hope some of this helps.

				- Pat