[daip] quick question

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Fri May 17 15:35:32 EDT 2002

On Fri, 17 May 2002 15:36:04 +0100 (BST), Nick Seymour
   <ns at astro.soton.ac.uk> said:

> If I have up graded my memory from 256 to 1024MB is it worth
> re-installing AIPS with a larger AP size (which is currently set at 80)?

Probably not.  And it wouldn't take a re-install anyway, just this:

         1) edit the right PAPC.INC for your system
         2) run INSTEP2 and INSTEP4 (i.e. build the whole system).

> Would there be any complications (eg mess up my current data area

No.  But our experience is that once you get up to an 80-megabyte
Pseudo-AP, making it bigger makes little or no difference to performance.

The AP size has no bearing on sizes of your datasets.  Those will remain
the same problema they already are, I'm afraid :-}.  All this parameter
changes is the amount of memory in the programs that's available to the
AIPS tasks that use the PSAP code, nothing more.

				- Pat
--
 Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.              Division Head, CV Computing, NRAO
 Home: http://www.chien-noir.com/    Work: http://www.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/