[daip] Help with AIPS laptop installation

Jasper V. Wall jvw at astro.ox.ac.uk
Thu May 16 10:57:26 EDT 2002

I've carried out a completely standard AIPS installation on my laptop
(LINUX) and everthing seems to have gone smoothly. But when I try to run
AIPS I get the following error message:

XAS: ***********************************
XAS: **  No TrueColor found
XAS: **  Resorting to PseudoColor
XAS: ***********************************
XAS: No pseudocolor visual - No suitable visual: No such file or directory
XASERVERS: TEKSRV is already running on host dilbert, display :0.0, user root
XASERVERS: MSGSRV is already running on host dilbert, display :0.0, user root
2
AIPS 1:                          31DEC01 AIPS:
AIPS 1:      Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Associated Universities, Inc.
AIPS 1:            AIPS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
AIPS 1:                 for details, type HELP GNUGPL
AIPS 1: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
AIPS 1: under certain conditions; type EXPLAIN GNUGPL for details.
AIPS 1: Previous session command-line history *not* recovered.
AIPS 1: TAB-key completions enabled, type HELP READLINE for details.
AIPS 1: Recovered POPS environment from last exit
>kleenex
AIPS 1: Begin check for any 'standard' scratch files
AIPS 1: Scratch files -- destroyed:    0  still active:    0
AIPS 1: Destroyed empty user catalog on disk   1
AIPS 1: User    2:   325 messages, oldest written 16-MAY-2002  14:15:02
AIPS 1: Deleted      0 messages
AIPS 1: Saved POPS environment in area named 'LASTEXIT'
ZSSSO2 connect (INET): Connection refused
AIPS 1: Session command-line history *not* saved.
AIPS 1: dilbert      31DEC01 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=       2

Thus there's no TV - there seems to be a problem with my XWin setup. Do
you have any advice?

Many thanks,

Jasper

Jasper Wall
Director of Graduate Studies, Astrophysics
Denys Wilkinson Building, Keble Road, Oxford OX1 3RH
tel (0)1865 273296
fax (0)1865 273390