[daip] XAS

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Fri May 10 10:30:42 EDT 2002

Marcel Clemens writes:
 > Dear daip,
 > 	Having installed AIPS on my shiny new pc running redhat 7.2
 > I get the error message below when I start up:
 >
 > UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on pcdot4, DISPLAY :0.0
 > XAS: ***********************************
 > XAS: **  No TrueColor found
 > XAS: **  Resorting to PseudoColor
 > XAS: ***********************************
 > XAS: No pseudocolor visual - No suitable visual: No such file or directory
 >
 > Would I be right in thinking this has got more to do with what I have on
 > my machine rather than an AIPS problem? (Not sure which is worse!)
 >
 > Many thanks for any tips..

The standard Linux box install XWindows as a 16-bit TrueColor visual.
This would yield 5 bits/color which is just not enough to do science.
XAS therefore refuses to use it.  You need to change to a 24/32 bit
TrueColor visual (or an 8 bit pseudocolor visual).  See

http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips/aipsmgr/

for a bit more info.