[daip] Re: AIPS runtime issues

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Thu Mar 21 12:31:55 EST 2002

Kevin Healy writes:

 > 	I did some poking around and determined that if I
 > setenv DISPLAY <host>:0 and then run aips, it now tries to
 > use INET services to launch TV and msgserver, but it then
 > fails because they weren't available. If I then add the aips
 > tcp services to /etc/services, it all seems to work fine. I
 > guess I'm still a little confused about the utility of UNIX
 > services if you still need to use INET services. Anyway,
 > looks like my aips install all done.

The unix services may be used but only within the one computer (you
can have a display somewhere else but it is slow).  The XASn and the
rest of aips all run in that computer.

The inet services allow computer A to run XAS and display on itself,
while computers A, B, C, D all can display on A.  These require the
system services in /etc/services.

Note that a computer may only have one of the inet services.  The unix
daemons may occur more than once.  So some users have multiple
sessions going each with their own set of TK, MSG, and TV services -
but only one (or none) of thise is inet and hence abble to talk to
other computers.