[daip] KNTR color plots

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Tue Mar 19 13:16:32 EST 2002

 > However, I am struggling hard with AIPS and its
 > (secret?) features.

     AIPS is very carefully constructed not to have any secret or
"expert" features.

 > The present problem is to generate multiple color
 > panels with contours overlayed with the task KNTR.
 > This works fine with grey-scale maps, but OPCODE COL
 > makes no difference, i.e. maps are still saved in grey
 > and printed as grey-scaled.
 >
 > However, the task CNTR supports color and contours for
 > a single map, and also prints and saves color
 > maps as .ps-files, while KNTR fails to do the same for
 > multiple maps. Is it so, that AIPS is unable to create
 > and display multiple color/contour maps, or have I
 > missed something?

There are no color capabilities in any AIPS plot program, including
but not limited to CNTR and KNTR.  The plot files do not contain color
information - even such simple things as white lines instead of
black.

It is possible to run GREYS or KNTR with 1 panel, setting DOTV to
true.  Then you can use the TV verbs (TVPH, TVPS, TVTRA) to add color
and grey-scale enhancement while the contours are overlayed in the
color of the graphics plane chosen.  Then the task TVCPS may be used
to capture the TV screen in color and convert it to color PostScript
in a file or to a color printer.

The OPCODE='COL' is used by TVCPS in capturing the TV screen.  The
adverb GRCHAN is used to select which graphics planes are included -
GRCHAN=0 means none are included even if they are currently visible.