[daip] Bug in INSTEP1 in AIPS FOR THE AGES !!

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Thu Jun 20 16:11:23 EDT 2002

Astronomical Information Processing System writes:

 >    This is only to let you know that 31DEC01.tar.gz, the "aips
 > for the ages" release,  does not allow to be compiled alone
 > it asks for the obsolete 31DEC00.
 >
 >    I think that may be a bug in INSTEP1 script distributed
 > with this release.
 >
 >    Please check it out !!
 >
 > aips at lynx:~$ ls
 > 31DEC01/  Desktop/  INSTEP1*  REGISTER*  TEXT/  mail/  nsmail/
 >
 > aips at lynx:~$ INSTEP1
 > INSTEP1: ******* AIPS INSTALLATION FOR VERSION 31DEC00 ********
 > INSTEP1: cannot find 31DEC00 directory in /home/aips
 > INSTEP1: Please move to the AIPS_ROOT directory, where this
 > INSTEP1: directory should be.  Then start again.
 > INSTEP1: *******************************************************
 > aips at lynx:~$

Please check the date of the 31DEC01.tar.gz file and whether or not
unpacking it changed the INSTEP1 file in your AIPS_ROOT directory.
The released version of the tar file has 11-Jan-2002 date on it and
contains the correct INSTEP1 file with no 31DEC00 stringpresent.

Please also consult the web pages on installation found from
      http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips
You will see there that INSTEP1 is no longer recommended.  The Perl
code install.pl available at the same location as the tar ball is
recommended instead - it does everything for you in a much more
friendly and up to date manner.