[daip] installing aips

Pedro Montero Muriel montero at sissa.it
Tue Jun 4 10:26:44 EDT 2002

Thanks for you reply. I tried that and solved and I think I solved the
problems when RUN FILAIP. I get this message:

FILAI1: ZCREAT: FILE DA00:BAD001009; ALREADY EXISTS
FILAI1: ZCREAT: FILE DA00:BAD002009; ALREADY EXISTS
FILAI1: ZCREAT: FILE DA00:TDD000004; ALREADY EXISTS
FILAI1: ZCREAT: FILE DA00:ICD000000; ALREADY EXISTS
FILAI1: ZCREAT: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001; ALREADY EXISTS
FILAI1: MS FILE NOT INITIALIZED. USE FILINI IF YOU REALLY MEAN IT
FILAI1: ZCREAT: FILE TSTMEM:MED000000; ALREADY EXISTS
FILAI1: ZCREAT: FILE DA00:MED000001; ALREADY EXISTS
FILAI1: ZCREAT: FILE DA00:MED000002; ALREADY EXISTS
FILAI1: ZCREAT: FILE DA00:MED000003; ALREADY EXISTS
FILAI1: ZCREAT: FILE DA00:MED000004; ALREADY EXISTS
FILAI1: ZCREAT: FILE DA00:MED000005; ALREADY EXISTS
FILAI1: ZCREAT: FILE DA00:MED000006; ALREADY EXISTS
FILAI1: ZCREAT: FILE DA00:MED000007; ALREADY EXISTS
FILAI1: ZCREAT: FILE DA00:MED000008; ALREADY EXISTS
FILAI1: ZCREAT: FILE DA00:MED000009; ALREADY EXISTS
FILAI1: ZCREAT: FILE DA00:MED00000A; ALREADY EXISTS
FILAI1: ZCREAT: FILE DA00:MED00000B; ALREADY EXISTS
FILAI1: Init POPS memory files 1 through 12 with program POPSGN
FILAI1: ZCREAT: FILE DA00:SPD000000; ALREADY EXISTS
FILAI1: ZCREAT: FILE DA00:ACD000000; ALREADY EXISTS
FILAI1: AC FILE NOT INITIALIZED. USE FILINI IF YOU REALLY MEAN IT
FILAI1: ZCREAT: FILE DA00:TPD001001; ALREADY EXISTS
FILAI1: ZCREAT: FILE DA00:TPD001002; ALREADY EXISTS
FILAI1: ZCREAT: FILE DA00:TPD001003; ALREADY EXISTS
FILAI1: ZCREAT: FILE DA00:TPD001004; ALREADY EXISTS
FILAI1: ZCREAT: FILE DA00:GRD000000; ALREADY EXISTS
FILAI1: GR FILE NOT INITIALIZED. USE FILINI IF YOU REALLY MEAN IT
FILAI1: ZCREAT: FILE DA00:PWD000000; ALREADY EXISTS
FILAI1: PW FILE NOT INITIALIZED. USE FILINI IF YOU REALLY MEAN IT
FILAI1: ZCREAT: FILE DA00:TCD000001; ALREADY EXISTS
FILAI1: Done!

But when I type aips, I still get this error, which I don't know to what
it refers since there is no such a DA01 directory:

 ZMSGER: ON FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;
 ZMSGER: IN ZDAOPN ERRNO = 13 (Permission denied)
MSGWRT ERROR      6 AT OPEN

Thanks for your help
PEdro.

On Mon, 20 May 2002, Patrick P Murphy wrote:

> On Mon, 20 May 2002 12:55:06 +0200 (CEST), Pedro Montero Muriel
>    <montero at sissa.it> said:
>
> > I am trying to install AIPS on a Linux PC but I am getting the following
> > problems and would be very grateful if you could tell how to solve them.
> > Basically, after compiling INSTEP4 I have manually to run FILAIP.EXE but
> > gives me a lot of errors. They are related to DA01 which is a directory
> > which does not exist.
>
> Here "DA01" is the AIPS internal name for the first data area.  When you
> gave the shell command "RUN FILAIP" it will in turn define several
> variables before running the program itself.  Because one of FILAIP's jobs
> is to create the message file for user#1 (the AIPS Manager), and because
> this normally goes in the first defined user data area (as plucked from
> the file $AIPS_ROOT/DA00/DADEVS.LIST where $AIPS_ROOT is the AIPS root
> area you defined), it has to figure out where that is.
>
> If you didn't create that area, did not make it writable, and/or did not
> put an empty writable file therein called SPACE, you need to do so at this
> point.  If you let the install wizard (install.pl) create the areas for
> you, it takes care of this.
>
> > When I try to run START_AIPS it opens the windows
> > corectly but it does not recognizes any comand at all.
>
> Let's look at the FILAIP errors first.  And don't call the START_AIPS
> script directly; it's not meant to be done that way.  See below for advice
> on LOGIN.SH/CSH; once that's done, you start aips by typing "aips" (or
> better yet, type "man aips" first [LOGIN.SH/CSH set the MANPATH and PATH
> variables], read it, and then figure out what command line options you
> want).
>
> > This are the kind of error when runing FILAIP.EXE:
>
> Make sure you use the RUN shell script to activate FILAIP.  You probably
> did this, but I want to be sure we're not miscommunicating.  Once you have
> set up your AIPS environment via:
>
>   . /where-your-aips-root-is/LOGIN.SH      # (bash, ksh, zsh, ash, sh)
>
> or
>
>   source /where-your-aips-root-is/LOGIN.CSH      # (csh, tcsh)
>
> then your PATH is already set up so that just typing:
>
>   RUN FILAIP
>
> will work.  If you ran the raw FILAIP.EXE without the setup that RUN gives
> you, you'll get all sorts of errors and it won't work.
>
> >  ZMYVER: TROUBLE TRANSLATING LOGICAL = AIPS_VERSION (USING NEW)
>
> This tells me the LOGIN.SH or .CSH was not called.  AIPS_VERSION appears
> not to be defined which means very little if anything will work.
>
> >  ZMSGOP: VOLUME  1 FOR FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
> > MSGWRT ERROR      3 AT OPEN
>
> Please ignore these two errors in what follows.  They're annoying and tend
> to obscure the more serious problems.  All they say is that the AIPS
> manager's message file isn't there so it can't log the ensuing error
> messages to it.
>
> > FILAI1: ZEXIST: CAN'T TRANSLATE NAME = DA00:ACD000000;

> [...]

Pedro Montero Muriel
SISSA/ISAS
Via Beirut 4, 34014 Trieste ITALY
Phone +39-0403787525  Fax +39-0403787528
e-mail= montero at sissa.it