[daip] remote tape issues

Neal Miller nmiller at h2.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Jan 29 10:18:12 EST 2002

Hello.

We're having problems with remote tape usage here
at Goddard. Susan Neff has an exabyte drive on her
machine (thidwick), and I'm trying to use it from
my machine (h2). We've made a string of discoveries
and fixes (ownership of TPMON jobs, tape lock files,
ssh access without password requirement, etc.) which
now allow me to successfully mount and dismount tapes.
However, I'm getting the following error:

>go fitld
FITLD1: Task FITLD  (release of 31DEC01) begins
FITLD1: Reading tape drive number   2
AIPS 1: Resumes
>FITLD1: ZTPOPR: REMOTE TAPE SYSTEM RETURNS ERROR CODE      6
FITLD1: ZTPOPN: REMOTE OPEN ERROR   6 TO
FITLD1: TAPIO: ERROR   6 OPENING FILE
FITLD1: ERROR      8 OPENING TAPE
FITLD1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
FITLD1: h2           31DEC01 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=      20
 Note: IEEE floating-point exception traps enabled:
    overflow;  division by zero;  invalid operation;
 Nonstandard floating-point mode enabled
 See the Numerical Computation Guide, ieee_handler(3M), ieee_sun(3M)

Tape drive #2 is defined as the first remote drive (i.e.,
the exabyte on thidwick). I'm starting AIPS using the
"tp=thidwick" option.

Please help! It has been a somewhat arduous process to
even reach this stage, and I'd really like to get at my
data.

Thanks,

Neal Miller