[daip] Can AIPS directories be moved en masse w/o writing to FITS?

Eric Perlman perlman at jca.umbc.edu
Thu Jan 17 11:27:40 EST 2002

Hi,

I have a fairly generic question:  can one move the contents of AIPS
directories from computer to computer (and in this case from institution to
institution) without the intermediate step of writing to FITS?  In other
words, if I just tar the contents of the AIPS directory on machine a, and
then copy it to a directory on machine b, will machine b be able to read
everything just fine?

A secondary question to this is how the issue of crossing platforms affects
this.  In my case the "from" machine is Solaris, while the "to" machine is
RedHat Linux.  As I'm sure you know, the two operating systems have opposite
endian-ness conventions.  What files would need to be converted and what
files wouldn't?

Thanks in advance

Eric

Eric S. Perlman				   E-mail: perlman at jca.umbc.edu
Joint Ctr. for Astrophysics, Physics Dept. Phone: +1 410 455 1982
University of Maryland, Baltimore County   Fax:   +1 410 455 1072
1000 Hilltop Circle			   WWW:   www.jca.umbc.edu/~perlman
Baltimore, MD  21250