[daip] Question about DDTs

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Fri Jan 11 16:15:26 EST 2002

This looks like remarkable progress given the state of the previous
message.

Random thoughs:

1. Why are you using public catalogs?  It keeps complaining about
   missing catalog files with a name suggesting public catalogs.  They
   are not used much anymore and I would not like to trust them.

   - that is not the source of the problem

   another setup problem - the computer speed parameter is probably
not set (last parameter in RUN SETPAR - use the expected AIPS mark).
This will speed up varous delays.

2. IMAGR aborted and the abort handler did not catch it.

   In getting the egcs compiler to work on Intel chips we had a
problem with imaging in general.  I finally traced this to the fact
that some aips programmers did not know that variable values of local
variables are not necessarily retained between calls to a subroutine.
All compilers we had met until then defaulted to static memory for
local variables so their values were retained.  But egcs did the more
correct dynamic memory for such things and imaging broke.  We added an
option (-fno-automatic I think) and recompiled everything and then
things worked.

3. The DDT test runs different programs in case it is an IMAGR alone
problem.

Congratulations on the progress!

Eric