[daip] Problem installing AIPS 31DEC01 under Mandrake Linux 8.0

Juan Cabanela jcabanel at haverford.edu
Fri Feb 15 15:07:05 EST 2002

Hi there,
    I have been attempting to install AIPS (31DEC01) under Mandrake
Linux 8.0 (which as I understand it is similar to RedHat 7.0).  I went
through the process of installing gcc-2.9.5-3 and confirmed it was
installed in /usr/local/bin with a "/usr/local/bin/gcc -v".
   I ran install.pl and after editting the file to retrieve the frozen
31DEC01 package, I went through the installation with no problems.  At
the appropriate point, I told the script to use /usr/bin/local/g77 as
the Fortran compiler and linker. and /usr/bin/local/gcc as the C
compiler.  The install.pl script got to the point where INSTEP2 is run,
I told it to go ahead and I got the following error after a few minutes:

> COMRPL    : Copied     /usr/local/AIPS/31DEC01/LINUX/PREP/ZXLX8.o
> COMRPL    : to         /usr/local/AIPS/31DEC01/LINUX/LIBR/APLLINUX
> COMRPL    : Removed    /usr/local/AIPS/31DEC01/LINUX/PREP/ZXLX8.o
> COMRPL    : Changed    /usr/local/AIPS/31DEC01/APL/DEV/ZXLX8.FOR
> COMRPL    : in         /usr/local/AIPS/31DEC01/LINUX/INSTALL/APLGEN.LIS
> COMRPL    : to         -/usr/local/AIPS/31DEC01/APL/DEV/ZXLX8.FOR
> COMRPL    : at least one module FAILED to compile
> COMRPL    : Dies of unnatural causes
> INSTEP2   : Failure in $APLGEN/...
> INSTEP2   : compilations.
> INSTEP2   : Aborts!    Fri Feb 15 14:56:58 EST 2002
> AipsWiz: Error: INSTEP2 failed, no point in proceeding.
> AipsWiz: Error: Look in /usr/local/AIPS/31DEC01/LINUX/INSTALL to see
> AipsWiz: Error: if you can figure out what went wrong.  There are
> AipsWiz: Error: many log and list files there.  You may want to do
>
> grep -v ^- *.LIS
>

> AipsWiz: Error: to see what modules did not compile.
>
> AipsWiz: Install Wizard stopping.  Current settings saved in ~/.AIPSRC
> AipsWiz: Abandoning ship!  Goodbye.

Any ideas?

Juan