[daip] NSF's Sun Blade: AIPSMark 20.6

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Fri Feb 8 11:00:45 EST 2002

We've been configuring and installing s/w on a system for the Astronomers
at NSF:

  Sunblade 100 Workstation: SUN WSSB 100 X3D-L, 500 VII-IZ Ultrasparc IIE,
           2GB RAM, 2x15GB ATA Drive, DVD, Floppy, 10/100BT, SUB,
           IEEE-1394 Ports, Xpert 3D-Lite Graphics, Solaris 8
  21" Color Monitor
  PCI Ultrascsi SE Card
  72.8GB in the form of two 10,000 RPM Disks in an external Multipack
  30 GB in the form of two internal IDE disks
  Tape 20GB 4MM DDS-4 Unipack
  Solaris 8 STD English Version

Bottom line: AIPSMark(93) is 20.6.  This compares to about 85 for the
visitor workstations in the AIPS Caiges.  Cost for this machine: $13K.
What we paid for our systems: $5k + $1k for DDS, say at worst $7k.

That's $631/AIPSmark for the blade, $82/AIPSMark for our boxes; a
difference of 7.66!  I was expecting better.

				- Pat