[daip] problems with AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at NRAO.EDU
Thu Feb 7 15:03:25 EST 2002

Rob Willson writes:

 >   This morining I dowloaded and compiled the DEC3102 version of AIPS on my
 > new LINUX (Redhat 7.1) PC but am having problems with it. When it finished
 > compiling, and said AIPS was ready, I typed "aips new" and it started up
 > OK, although the TV window did not appear. I then logged out and when I
 > tried to start it again with "aips new", I got the message :bash: aips
 > command not found"
 >
 > ANy idead what's going on and how I should go about getting the TV
 > configured properly?

Without more information than this it is awfully hard to guess what is
going on.  Let me try anyway:

1. Most Linux systems out of the box have the Xwindows set up for
16-bit "TrueColor".  I take the view that 16 bits is not, for
scientific purposes, TrueColor.  XAS works either with 8-bit
PseudoColor or 24/32-bit TrueColor.  You need to change the Xwindows
configuration file (carefully) to specify one of those.

2. The command not found suggests that in your logging in you do not
dot LOGIN.SH or source LOGIN.CSH in the $AIPS_ROOT area.  During
installation that is done so the aips command (a symlink in $SYSLOCAL)
was known because the LOGIN files put $SYSLOCAL in your path.  At the
later time this had not been done.