[daip] for help

Eric Greisen egreisen at NRAO.EDU
Fri Apr 12 10:46:31 EDT 2002

Zhang Xizhen writes:
 > Dear Sir,
 >   I met a problem with the installation of AIPS. the error information
 > are as followings.
 >
 >   XAS:   No True Color found
 >   XAS:   Resorting to PseudoColor
 >   XAS:   No pseudocolor visual - No suitable visual: no such file or
 >                 directory
 >
 > I woulld be very grateful if you could help me to solve this problem.
 > BTW, I installed AIPS for many times before. all of them work well.
 > this problem is first time for me.

This is a common problem with LInux systems.  The default XWindows
setup is a 16-bit TrueColor.  Since that only gives 5 bits per color
we do not use it.  You need to reconfigure your XWindows to use either
24/32-bit TrueColor or 8-bit PseudoColor.  There is some info on this
at
               http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips/aipsmgr/

but I have told you most of the story above.