[daip] Intallation questions

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Wed Sep 12 15:29:36 EDT 2001

I'll address some of the system/Linux aspects of your questions; I'm not
formally in the AIPS group anymore.

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001 14:36:28 -0400, Grant Denn <gdenn at sbc.edu> said:

Please send future mail as plain text, not HTML.  Thanks.

> This is Grant Denn at Sweet Briar College in VA.  I have AIPS 31DEC01
> installed. I have two questions.

> a) I never inserted the secure shell codes so I am pretty sure
>    we are not getting the midnight job.  I also couldn't find a
>    do_daily file.

If you went through the install.pl "wizard", it should have run the
MAKE.MNJ script (in 31DEC01/SYSTEM/UNIX/UPDATE/) which deposits a
do_daily.$HOSTNAME file in the login area of the account being used.

> b) when I log on as root, I can mount the tapes.  When I log on as
>    another user, I cannot mount the tapes: Permission Denied.  If you
>    know where I can chmod the permissions, please tell me. (/dev/nst0
>    didn't seem to like having its permissions changed!)

But it is this file you need to modify.  As root.  "chmod 666 /dev/nst0"
is the correct command.

> c) We have another Linux box here running a previous version. Do I need
>    to use NIS/YP to connect them?

That's your choice.  NIS is useful for (a) the services map (in place of
separate /etc/services on each); and (b) accounts.  And more, but those
are the two most useful.  You'll need to talk to a sysadmin about a YP/NIS
server if you don't already have one.

You may want to export the AIPS home directory from the original machine
to the second; then with a few steps (edit HOSTS.LIST, DADEVS.LIST,
NETSP; set up a $TST/$ARCH/TEMPLATE/ area, copy $DA00 from original in
there, then type "SYSETUP NEWHOST" for the newhost) the second machine can
run AIPS via the NFS mounted home area of the first one.  The actual
pathname to AIPS_ROOT needs to be identical on each, though.

> Do I need to upgrade for them to share data?

Upgrade what: AIPS or Linux?  RH7.1 is recommended (with caveats; see
http://www.cv.nrao.edu/aips/) for the latter.

				- Pat